<body>

Monday, August 28, 2006

Civil War Muster Embalming Impression


It's been several weeks since I have updated this blog. I have been working around with my Moodle site for school, enjoying some vacation with my family and most recently I attended the Civil War Muster that is presented by Cascades, Inc. at Cascades Park in Jackson, Michigan.

I took the opportunity to bring along my MiniDisk recorder and have recorded several conversations with reenactors that were doing impressions for the spectators as well as reenactors that took the field in the Battle of Chickamauga. I will be preparing the recordings and will be sharing them here and with my classes during our Civil War Seminar.

Today's podcast features a topic that was cutting-edge technology during the civil war, embalming. Most soldiers were buried on the battle field, but some were preserved and sent home. The reenactor I spoke to actually does embalming and decided to share the knowledge he has gained about embalming during this time period. While the topic of embalming may seem morbid, the families of the fallen soldiers would welcome the opportunity to bury their loved one at home. I hope you find this impression as interesting as I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home